The Director of Finance contributes to the overall success of the organization by effectively managing all financial tasks for the organization.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Financial accounting and reporting:
* Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the users and in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
* Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures
* Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including Charitable Status, Withholding Payments, Income Tax, Goods and Services Tax and Employer Health Tax
* Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the Board's Audit Committee and the external auditors as necessary
* Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions
* Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable, accounts receivable, credit control, and petty cash
* Reconcile bank and investment accounts
* Review monthly results and implement monthly variance reporting
* Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts in accordance with policy
* Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll
* Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure that personnel and financial information is secure and stored in compliance with current legislation
* Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate
* Prepare annual charitable return in a timely manner as appropriate
* Liaise with the Treasurer, Finance Committee and/or Audit Committee as appropriate
* Assist the Executive Director and the Board Treasurer with financial reporting as required at Board meeting and the Annual General Meetings
Payroll preparation and administration
* Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner
* Negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans
* Process and submit statutory and benefits remittances on time
* Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Executive Director and Treasurer and/or Finance Committee
* Assist Program Directors and Project Managers with the preparation of budgets for funding applications
Project management accounting
* Maintain financial records for each project in a manner that facilitates management reports
* Ensure that accurate and timely financial statements are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with funders
* Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects
* Evaluate the need for new technology to meet the organization's financial data processing, control, and reporting requirements
* Advise on appropriate technology that meets the organization's information requirements and financial resources
* Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized
* Advise the organization's leadership on appropriate insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Directors
* Maximize income where possible and appropriate
* Negotiate with Bank for lines of credit or other financial services as required and appropriate
* Oversee and supervise the administrative function of the organization including reception, property/facility management, safety of the work environment, and provision of furnishings and equipment necessary for effective operations
* Oversee the management of all leases, contracts and other financial commitments
* Monitor all legislation relevant to the organization (employment standards, occupation health and safety, human rights, etc) and all regulations on professional certification to ensure that the organization is compliant
* University degree or college diploma in Accounting, Commerce, or Business Management/Administration
* Chartered Accountant, Certified General Accountant, or Certified Management Accountant designation is an asset.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
* Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles
* Knowledge of federal and provincial legislation affecting charities
* Knowledge of provincial legislation on Employment Standards, Occupational Health and Safety, and Human Rights
* Knowledge of the voluntary sector
* Proficiency in the use of computer programs for: Accounting, Word processing, Databases, Spreadsheets, E-mail,
The Director of Finance should demonstrate competence in some or all of the following:
* Behave Ethically: Understand ethical behaviour and business practices and ensure own behaviour and the behaviour of others is consistent with these standards and aligns with the values of the organization.
* Build Relationships: Establish and maintain positive working relationships with others both internally and externally to achieve the goals of the organization.
* Communicate Effectively: Speak, listen and write in a clear, thorough and timely manner using appropriate and effective communication tools and techniques.
* Focus on Client Needs: Anticipate, understand, and respond to the needs of internal and external clients to meet or exceed their expectations within the organizational parameters.
* Foster Teamwork: Work cooperatively and effectively with others to set goals, resolve problem, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness.
* Lead: Positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the organization.
* Make Decisions: Assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions which are timely and in the best interests of the organization
* Organize: Set priorities, develop a work schedule, monitor progress towards goals, and track details, data, information and activities.
* Plan: Determine strategies to move the organization forward, set goals, create and implement actions plans, and evaluate the process and results.
* Solve Problems: Assess problem situations to identify causes, gather and process relevant information, generate possible solutions, and make recommendations and/or resolve the problem.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested Applicants should forward their Resume to HR via hr.danchezglobal @gmail.com. Please note that only short listed applicants will be notified